The Vision of the Progymnasium is to make effective and modern educational institution which:
- enables to secure the quality of the knowledge of the students, paving the activities with the principles of communication and cooperation;
- may differentiate and individualize the education content according to the needs and facilities of the students, encourage their self-expression, organizing rich after-school activities;
- could work as a team community and take care about staff qualification and community members safety.
The mission of the Progymnasium is to educate an intelligent and cultured young people who are able to find their own place in the society according to their knowledge and disposition at the society.
A SHORT PROGYMNASIUM HISTORY
The history of Alytus Piliakalnis Main School reaches the year 1916, when Lithuanian primary school was opened in the First Alytus, with the initiative of the priest Konstantinas Paulavicius. In 1949 it was reorganized to a seven-year school, then it became the Secondary School No 4 in 1956. In 1994 the school acquired the honourable name of Piliakalnis, which reminds us of Alytus town‘s history. In 2009 the school was reorganized into the lower – secondary school and in 2014 into the Progymnasium.
During the 53 years of existence our school saw 49 crops of graduates. Our former students successfully continue their studies and work in different fields after acquiring their specialities. There are many teachers, engineers, businessmen, agricultural specialists, lawyers, journalists and psychologists among them.
Alytus Piliakalnis Progymnasium nowadays:
- There are different initial, primary, main education of the first section, special education and informal education programmes at progymnasium (students of 1 - 6 forms are able to attend the Group of Prolonged Working Day).
- Our school can boast of safe and modern working conditions, which enable education success, especially the renewed building exterior and interior with new wall insulation, fenced area and installed security video cameras. There was given the name of “Olweus school” for the Progymnasium as for the institution successfully fighting against bullying.
- There are modernized educational areas, natural science, art cabinets are supplied with modern training aids.
- There creatively works high qualification educators.
- There worksstudents‘ support team of experts (psychologist, social teacher, special teacher, speech therapy specialist) who helps students and their parents (tutors) to solve actual problems.
- There is implemented a rich non-formal students’ education project work-Creative partnerships project “Researching schools”, international Socrates Comenius multilateral schools’ partnerships project “Let’s discover hidden talents”, students’ project “Nationality and citizenship education in collaboration with Vilnius Lithuanian house”, civic education “We create the Republic” project “Back to the future”.
- The Progymnasium is always open for constant change and perfection, and the acquisition of modern competencies.
THE TRADITIONS OF ALYTUS PILIAKALNIS PROGYMNASIUM COMMUNITY
The events for commemorating national holidays of the Republic of Lithuania:
- The Day of Freedom Defenders;
- The Day of State Restitution;
- The Day of Lithuanian Independence;
- The Day of Entry into the EU
- The European Languages day.
The national heritage holidays:
- Christmas Evenings, Exhibitions;
- Pancake day;
- St. Kaziukas Fair;
- Easter eggs exhibition, competitions.
- The First of September;
- The Teachers’ Day;
- The Infant’s Day;
- The Last Bell Ceremony of 10th Form Students;
- The Closure of progymnasium Year Day.
Other traditional events:
- The European Language Events;
- Events to commemorate the Earth Day;
- The evening ‘Piliakalnis Onions’;
- Literature evenings and afternoons;
- Concerts to commemorate Mother’s Day;
- The Day of the Book -carrier;
- Press Recovery, Language and Book Day Holiday;
- Ecology actions;
- Sports holidays.